Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lollapalooza goals

Endless years of schooling have instilled me with a need to always be prepared before sitting in on any symposium. This includes foreknowledge on the presenter's topic and a basic understanding of the presenter's past work. Since most of my work seats me before a computer screen, I am free to study up a prestigious symposium I plan on attending next weekend: Lollapalooza.

As any who looks at the schedule can easily deduce, the conference is rife with a plethora of solid bands. Many of them fall into that eclectic Indy up-and-coming category, which means that prior knowledge of them is based purely on the musical diversity (and snobbery) of those you choose to surround yourself with. I've been forced to do homework on many of the 2nd tier bands playing and have discovered scintillating musical gems in the mix. These I proudly offer for your enjoyment, as well as several popular tracks I'm excited to see.

Arctic Monkeys - Dancing Shoes
Band of Horses - The Funeral
Bat for Lashes - Daniel
Cold War Kids - I've Seen Enough
Of Montreal - Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse
Rise Against - Prayer of the Refugee
Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch
Vampire Weekend - A-Punk

3 comments:

  1. The Lollapalooza lineup is pretty sick. I'm not sure what you consider 2nd tier bands, or who you've heard before and who you haven't, but allow me to offer my suggestions on what I would see, if I were there (sorry for not having youtube videos handy):

    The Decemberists - The Wanting Comes in Waves (great live shows)
    Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes(great live shows)
    Fleet Foxes - He Doesn't Know Why
    Santigold - I'm a Lady
    Gomez - (great live shows)
    Passion Pit - Little Secrets
    Tool - metal band, don't know if you've heard them, but they put on freakin sweet live shows

    ~Mirra

    ReplyDelete