Monday, May 11, 2009

Double the Meaning, Double the Fun

Now for those of you who don't know, I work in a lab in which I'm a minority. The English language's idiosyncrasies provide entertainment on a nearly daily basis. Here are a few gems from a gregarious and fiery Turkish friend, still in the process of mastering the language. Both came from one conversation regarding her bar flirtatiousness.

"I love when I go to bars with my boyfriend and other guys come over and hit me, it makes him very mad."
"My boyfriend thinks he is tough guy. Sometimes when he goes to bars, he will yell at other boys and they will go outside and fist each other. Sometimes I make him mad enough to fist me, although he is a big pussy and never will."

Behold, the subtle differences in hit me vs. hit on me, or fist each other vs. punch each other.

1 comment:

  1. One-word description my young, attractive Turkish taxi driver used to describe his cat's behavior towards him: "naughty". I asked if he had a girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete